Ciprofloxacin – Effective Solution for Bacterial Infections
Since the very discovery of antibiotics, they have been used as an effective remedy for bacterial infections of different types. In this respect, Ciprofloxacin also belongs to the class of antibiotics that are commonly prescribed to treat diseases caused by bacteria. It is used for skin infections, diseases affecting bones and joints, respiratory infections as well as disorders of the urinary tract and certain other types of infections. Above all, it also proves to be an effective solution to sexually transmitted illnesses like gonorrhea. Such a wide variety of uses makes Ciprofloxacin a popular modern drug. However, before buying this medicine, it is important to find out more about its mechanism of action and specifics of use.
Basic Facts about Ciprofloxacin
Ciprofloxacin is often prescribed to people suffering from diarrhea as well as those who have anthrax and some particular types of plague. As a rule, this drug is administered only if safer antibiotics prove to be ineffective for your condition. However, in some patients, this antibiotic may provoke severe and often permanent side effects that are sometimes irreversible, including nerve problems, mood swings, behavior changes, and other troubles. This drug prevents bacteria from multiplying and reproducing in the body. As a result, bacteria are unable to restore their genetic material which leads to their complete eradication. This medicine belongs to the class of fluoroquinolone antibiotics which many other medications are included in.
What Infections Cannot Be Treated with Ciprofloxacin?
Just because Ciprofloxacin can provoke severe adverse reactions, it should not be used for the treatment of the following infections unless your healthcare provider cannot find any other alternative:
- Uncomplicated infections of the urinary tract;
- Acute forms of chronic bronchitis provoked by bacteria;
- Acute forms of bacterial sinusitis.
In all these cases, it is better to use safer antibiotics that would not pose a risk of too severe side effects such as tendon troubles, damage of the nervous system, low level of blood sugar and even mental deviations like mood swings and changes in behavior.
How Should You Take Ciprofloxacin?
This medicine should be taken according to the prescription of your physician. You need to follow all the instructions provided by the doctor on your prescription label. Besides, it is recommended to read all medical instructions carefully to know for sure that you understand how to safely use this medication. These requirements should be followed when using Ciprofloxacin:
- Take this medicine with or without food. It should be preferably taken at equal intervals or at the same time during each day of treatment;
- If you are using a suspension for oral use, it needs to be thoroughly shaken for around 15 seconds before measuring your dose. To measure the necessary amount of the drug, it is advisable to use a dose-measuring device, not a usual teaspoon. Oral suspension should not be administered through a feeding tube;
- Delayed-release tablets need to be taken as they are without crushing, breaking or chewing them;
- Ciprofloxacin needs to be used for the full duration of treatment even if the symptoms quickly improve. If you skip the dose, it may increase the risk of further infection that is likely to be resistant to medicines. Keep in mind that this antibiotic is not used to treat viral infections such as cold or flu;
- The exact dosage of the drug depends on the severity of your condition. As a rule, adults are recommended to take 250-750 mg of immediate-release tablets at equal intervals of 12 hours. As for extended-release tablets, their dose should be higher and may be equal to 500-1,000 mg taken every 24 hours. The regular intravenous dose of the drug is 200-400 mg injected every 8-12 hours;
- Tablets and liquid drug should be taken two times a day, preferably in the morning and evening, while delayed-release tablets should be taken only once a day. Do not break the tablets before use;
- If you have taken this medicine in excess amounts, it may provoke severe kidney damage. Very large doses of this drug may also provoke breathing difficulty, vomiting, and nausea as well as convulsions. If you suspect an overdose, there is a need to seek emergency help immediately;
- If you have skipped a dose, you may take it as soon as it comes to your mind and then continue to use this drug as usual without taking excess doses.
What Side Effects Can Be Provoked by This Drug?
Ciprofloxacin may provoke mild and serious side effects. If you observe any of the symptoms listed below, talk to your doctor right away and seek emergency help if the side effects are severe. The most common adverse reactions are the following:
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Stomach ache;
- Vaginal itching or uncommon discharge;
- Paleness of skin;
- Uncommon feeling of tiredness;
If you have more serious side effects, it is important to stop using the drug and seek emergency medical attention right away. Severe side effects of Ciprofloxacin include the following:
- Acute diarrhea that may be watery or bloody and can be accompanied by fever or stomach cramps;
- Skin rash or hives;
- Itching, peeling or blistering of skin;
- Swelling of body parts;
- Speaking difficulty and hoarse voice;
- Breathing and swallowing difficulty;
- Continuous cough;
- Yellowish skin or eyes;
- Darkening of urine;
- Intense thirst or hunger;
- Impaired vision;
- Loss of consciousness;
- Inability to urinate normally.
If Ciprofloxacin is used by children, it may provoke severe problems with bones, tissues, and joints. Therefore, it should not be given to children aged less than 18 unless they have a serious infection that cannot be treated using safer drugs. If your healthcare provider prescribes this drug to your child, you need to tell your doctor whether or not your child has ever suffered from joint-related troubles. Call your healthcare provider if your child develops this condition and suffers from joint pain after taking Ciprofloxacin. This medicine may provoke other side effects as well. Tell your doctor if you observe any other symptoms after using this antibiotic.
What to Avoid when Using Ciprofloxacin
There are certain requirements that need to be followed when using antibiotics, and Ciprofloxacin is not an exception. Do not take this drug together with dairy products including milk or yogurt as well as juice with calcium. It is permissible to eat or drink such products when having meals, but you should not use them when you take Ciprofloxacin because they could make this medicine less effective.
Ciprofloxacin may also increase the effects produced by caffeine. Antibiotic medicines including Ciprofloxacin may provoke diarrhea, which could indicate that you have developed a new infection. If you have watery or bloody diarrhea, do not use anti-diarrhea medical products but call your doctor for advice.
Ciprofloxacin may also provoke an intense sunburn. Avoid too bright sunlight or tanning beds. Besides, you need to wear protective gear and use sunscreen when going outside. Tell your doctor if you experience skin redness, itching or swelling after being exposed to sunlight. This medicine may also cause drowsiness. It is better to avoid any dangerous activities like driving when you are under the effect of this drug because your alertness may be impaired.
Drugs that Interact with Ciprofloxacin
The conjunctive use of Ciprofloxacin with certain other drugs may provoke undesirable effects. Keep the following in mind before using this drug with other medical products:
- This medicine should not be used together with theophylline because this may result in toxic blood levels of the latter. If you cannot avoid using these drugs together, make sure you take regular blood tests to monitor your condition;
- This antibiotic also increases the effects of tizanidine that is used for muscle spasms and other conditions. Avoid using them together;
- Ciprofloxacin should not be combined with warfarin, because this may lead to the increased effects of the latter;
- The use of this drug with Sevelamer can worsen the absorption of Ciprofloxacin and even lead to its decreased effectiveness;
- It may also increase the concentration of sildenafil in the blood when used together.
Can You Buy Ciprofloxacin Online?
Nowadays you can buy any antibiotic including Ciprofloxacin online. It is an easy way of getting the right medicine at a low price and with minimal effort. What’s more, it saves your time and money considerably. That’s the key reason why buying antibiotics online has become so popular. This is probably the most cost-effective and time-saving way of doing shopping especially if you are tight on a budget or want to get your medicines quickly and easily. Buy Ciprofloxacin online if you want to get your drug in a reliable and safe manner with no inconveniences.